Kindergarten/Nursery admissions today have come a long way from normal introduction meet-ups.
Why Do Schools Conduct Interview for Kindergarten Admission?
The reason behind these nursery interviews is get a good understanding of your child’s developmental milestones to the school staffs. Can he follow simple instructions? Can he answer the questions asked? Can he identify colours, numbers and shapes? The child is been evaluated based on these parameters and then they conclude if there are any cases of special needs education.
40 Interview Questions for a Child for Nursery Admission
Here are some nursery interview questions for your child that will help him prepare.
1. What is your name?
2. What are your mum and dad’s names?
3. Do you have any sisters or brothers?
4. Where do you live?
5. Can you tell me when your birthday is?
6. What is your favourite colour?
7. Can you name this colour?
8. Can you tell me what shape this is?
9. What is your favourite animal?
10. Do you have a pet at home?
11. What animal is this?
12. What bird is this?
13. Which bedtime story is your favourite?
14. What is the best thing you like to eat?
15. Can you recite your favourite poem?
16. When you grow up, what do you want to become?
17. Which is your favourite cartoon?
18. What colour is an apple?
19. What is your favourite game?
20. Do you like to draw?
21. Can you pick up the biggest toy from this?
22. What number is this?
23. What letter is this?
24. How many fingers do you have?
25. What is your favourite toy?
26. Can you tell me what the man is doing in this picture?
27. How many wheels does a car have?
28. Do you know when your birthday is?
29. How old are you?
30. Can you give me a high-five/Can you shake my hand?
31. Who do you like the most in the world? And Why?
32. Which means of transport is this?
33. Show you eyes, ears, nose, tongue etc.
34. Who is the person in this picture? (Profession – doctor, police, teacher, carpenter, soldier, farmer etc.)
35. With which hand do you eat food?
36. Which story does you like the most?
37. Tell a story
38. Who says stories for you?
39. Which pet animal do you like the most?
40. Who play with you most time?
Additional Tips to Prepare Child for His First School Interview
Here are some tips to prepare your child to answer her preschool interview questions.
1. Enquire thoroughly about the school
Find out the normal set of questions they usually ask, that you can prepare your child.
2. Let your child spent time with his peers
If there are some other child of same age who are going through the same process, have meet ups and play time with them. Your child will be more comfortable at the school when his friend is around.
3. Basic training at home
Alphabets, numbers, colours, shapes, names of animals, vehicles etc., are some of the basic questions that will be asked.
4. Practice Daily as a routine
Set out some time to sit with your child and go through the questions. Make it fun and playful; she will start warming up to it.
5. Build good communication
Child’s speech and communication skills will be evaluated. Make sure that you work on the points where you think your child isn’t strong.
6. Plan it right
Involve your child in simple household chores like cleaning up his toys, arranging room. You can improve your child’s skills ahead of time
It is essential that child knows how to tidy up. It will be helpful in general and especially if the teacher offers him candy and he drops the wrapper right on the table.
8. Don’t teach everything in one go
Teaching all the questions and activities at a time or in a day is not a great idea. Children learn by practice. Go slow.
9. Appreciation will help
Appreciate him whenever he is doing something right or he is learning something new that he will be motivated for the next step.
10. Deal with Tantrums
children are prone to tantrums, especially in public. Teach him to stop this with proper love, smartness and compassion
11. Help him talk
If he’s shy, encourage him to talk to new friends
12. Make it Fun
Play and learn. Make it fun, activities will help you to do it. So he learns faster and remembers better.
13. Curiosity it a good sign
Let him ask questions on how things around him work and answer patiently to all his questions.
14. Teaching social manners
Good morning,sorry,please, thank you will create a good impression t. Also, teach him to mention elders outside family mam or sir.
15. Don’t Stress Him Out
Go to the interview like it’s any other meet. Do not cause unnecessary stress.
16. Brief him
Tell your child basic things about the school. You may also want to take a trip the school beforehand.
17. Ask Him to be Confident
Tell him to smile graciously as he answers questions.
18. Dress Appropriately
Both you and your child will need to dress formal and straightforward, without a lot of add-ons to make a good impression.
19. Prepare Yourself
You’ll be asked questions about your work, lifestyle, and interests. You will need to prepare accordingly.
20. Bond with Your Child
It is easier to help your child prepare when he knows that he can trust you.
Preschool interviews can be a lot for your child, but with the right preparation, he will do great.
For activities please watch the below youtube video
kindergarten, kindergarten admission